Ceramic Coating or Wax, Which is Best?
Wax has been the go-to protective automotive coating for decades. For many, spending a laborious hour or so after washing their cars applying and buffing wax is an enjoyable ritual. For the rest of us, there are ceramic coatings.
In this article we’re going to lay down the advantages and disadvantages of both wax and ceramic coatings. There is never a one-size-fits-all solution for anything automotive, so it’s important that you make your decision with all the information you can get.
Waxes have been the dependable solution for decades, so many people don’t see the point in reinventing the wheel. That being said, the development of high-quality ceramic coatings (also called nano ceramic coatings) has gotten many people questioning the usefulness of wax.
What is a Ceramic Coating?
A ceramic coating is a liquid polymer that is painted onto the exterior of a vehicle, right on top of the existing clear coat. After application, the polymer forms a molecular bond with the clear coat. This forms a thin layer of protective armour on top of the vehicle’s existing paint.
Here is a breakdown of the 5 most celebrated benefits of ceramic coatings:
- Longeveity. Ceramic coatings last for YEARS. Depending on which formula you choose, ceramic coatings can last for well over 7 years. In fact, when properly maintained, it can last forever, which is why we offer a lifetime warranty. That is far longer than any wax currently available, which typically need reapplication every few months.
- UV Protection. Waxes offer little, if any, protection against solar radiation, which will degrade your clear coat and paint. Ceramic coatings will help your vehicle stand up to solar radiation.
- Resistance. Ceramic coatings are far more resistant to damage – both chemical and mechanical. Your paint can sustain chemical damage from things like bird droppings, tree sap, acid rain, and harsh cleaners. Wax is also quite soft, meaning your clear coat can easily get scratched beneath a layer of wax. Ceramic coatings are incredibly hard and chemical resistant, meaning your clear coat will be very resistant to damage.
- Water repellence. Ceramic coatings are celebrated for their hydrophobic properties. Water can’t cling to ceramic coatings, meaning it instantly beads and falls off. If water can’t climb to your car, neither can dirt, dust, or grime.
- Gloss. When done right, ceramic coatings will preserve an intense gloss. Your car will never look better than when a ceramic coatings is applied, and that look will be preserved for years.
While waxes and sealants are definitely old technology, they definitely have their own benefits. Due to the meticulous prepping and paint correction required for a proper application of ceramic coating, they need to be done by specially trained professionals. DIY ceramic coatings always yield terrible results, because the necessary prep work is almost impossible to do at home.
Waxes suit the detailing enthusiasts who enjoy spending the time every few weeks applying and buffing wax. For those of us with a little less time on our hands, or simply demand the absolute best results, there are ceramic coatings. There is nothing better on the market for protection, aesthetics, and ease of maintenance.
Get the Best
When choosing to invest in something like ceramic coatings, it just makes sense to get the best you can. For more info on the best products available on the market, check out our portfolio page. When a product comes from a manufacturer like Autobahn, you know you can trust it.